My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.business-powerpack.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Why Bother About Writing Sales Letters?

I was listening to Copywriting genius Gary Halbert and he introduced a riveting thought.

In his seminars Gary gives everyone two first-class stamps and two envelopes and he asks his audience to write two letters to their Mom.

What's The First Letter About?

Gary's attendees are asked to write

"Dear Mom, I’m very busy right now and I don’t have time to call so that’s why I’m writing you this letter. You know mom not only are you responsible for my very existence, you are also the nourishment that has made my life sparkle.

I’m under a lot of stress right now and for some reason, I started thinking about you. It has occurred to me that maybe I haven’t let you know recently how much I appreciate you and how much I love you."

He asks the audience to also add a section which is something special, like an 18th birthday, or an event or whatever.

He then asks them to seal and stamp the envelope.

What's The Second Letter About?

Gary then asks the audience to write the second letter as follows:

"Dear Mom, If I weren’t such a long way from home, I probably wouldn’t have the guts to tell you this but the following has been true ever since I was born. You have made my life a living hell.

Every person I know has a mother that is superior to you in every positive way imaginable. You are nothing more than a wrinkled up old bitch and as far as I’m concerned, the biggest waste of skin God ever created.

Speaking of God, as the good Lord knows, you’re certainly not too mentally swift either. So just in case your low IQ keeps you from understanding what I’m trying to say, let me make it perfectly clear...Please don’t call or write me. I have no inclination whatsoever to communicate with you ever again. Reluctantly your son or daughter."

Questions To Ask About These Letters

Then Gary asks the audience the following questions:

  • What's the difference in cost of the two envelopes? Almost none
  • What's the difference in the energy it took you to address the two envelopes? Almost none
  • What is the difference in the cost of postage for the two envelopes? Almost none
  • What is the difference in the cost of the sheet of paper upon which you wrote the letter? Almost none
  • What is the difference in energy and time to write the letter? Almost none

The Marketing And Copywriting Point?

The two letters were written by the same person. Almost at the same time and with no real difference between the two. Except the two letters create different feelings when they're read.

The first letter creates a deep and warm bond with the recipient. While the second letter creates deep grief, anger and unhappiness.

And the only difference is the words used in each letter.

That means when your company uses words to communicate you can use words that compel, enthuse, encourage and attract people to buy.

Or you can use words that are just hype, spin, fluff, deflect, meander, discourage and even outrage your market.

Don't be like so many other companies. Choose a copywriter who can do justice to your product or service, one that uses words that compel.


del.icio.us tags: , ,
LiveJournal tags: , ,

No comments:

* View Other Blogs Reactions
Like the post? Bookmark it Now Using:
del.icio.us, Digg, Furl, reddit, Technorati or share on Facebook

Other bookmarks or things you can do with this post...