I saw Sir Alan Sugar on Jonathan Ross's show last night.
He was very entertaining although he did have a bit of a go at the armchair critics who are all saying how the candidates aren't doing as well as they should.
He does have a point. We aren't in the situation where someone comes along gives us a couple of hundred quid, a van and says go and sell something.
But really if these people are that good they should rise to the challenge and not make simple mistakes.
As just a few examples:
- Moving a selling team making money from a successful pitch
- Calling an e-number-ridden lollipop natural
- Using a baked bean can as a kind of stove to heat sausages
- Buying bulk cheddar to sell to the French
- Going round in circles trying to buy nigella seeds
- Just sitting at a pitch trying to sell coffee in an area where there are a large number of cheaper cafes
- Selling face painting at a fiver a time
- Selling kisses
There are so many. They don't require business acumen. They just require a tinge of commonsense.
Now, back to who is likely to win The Apprentice UK?
Putting my neck on the line at the half-way point I'll predict that Miss Smugness (Kristina Grimes) will sweep all before her. Rather like a snow plough cutting through the motorway drifts!