My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.business-powerpack.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Top Ten Web Design Mistakes of 2005

I've been a subscriber to usability guru Jakob Nielsen's "Alertbox" for a few years now.

I always love it when he comes up with the top 10 worst web design mistakes.

What baffles me is that people continue to make them.

Why?

Although to be honest he does make one or two points that have me reaching for that web site correction fluid.

Interestingly pop-ups died some time ago but have come back because someone has managed to make them resistant to the current crop of pop-up blockers. They've not been included in this list - just mentioned as the most hateful advertising of all time.

Also they're being used slightly differently now. Marketeers are reporting increased sales because of them. So the people who are buying are finding them useful. All the other poor surfers are just put off by them.

One of my bugbears - poor font use - is at number one.

The one I find most annoying is at number 10. It's when you click on something and nothing happens. As Jakob says you're not sure if you did something wrong. It happened to me yesterday I clicked on a map site to enlarge a route map - nothing happened. So I spent the next 5 minutes trying to find out what was wrong!

Anyway, all in all these design mistakes get you thinking and if it leads to better web sites all the better.

No comments:

* View Other Blogs Reactions
Like the post? Bookmark it Now Using:
del.icio.us, Digg, Furl, reddit, Technorati or share on Facebook

Other bookmarks or things you can do with this post...